Thracian Museum of Education of the Association of Educational Sciences
The Thracian Museum of Education of the Association of Educational Sciences was founded in 1992 to collect and exhibit school objects, documents and books of historical importance, mainly Thracian and of the wider area. Such museums are currently scarce in our country and it is worth noting what, perhaps, is the only rich collection with photographs and a series of wonderful saved school objects that counts approximately two centuries of life. The Museum of Science in Educational Society is a proper educational place, such as a school, and a visitor gets just by touring the area, lessons for the instruments used by teachers when teaching in the classroom and in contact with the school atmosphere of a past era, starting in the 19th century and early in the 20th century. Conferred is the building of the Municipality of Komotini the museum was built in 1882 by benefactor Chatzikonstanti Zoidi and his wife. Located in the yard of the Church of Agios Georgios of Komotini. It was previously used as a kindergarten, hosted for many years due to the housing needs of the 5th Primary School of Komotini, later of the 5th Kindergarten of Komotini until November 6, 1995, and today continue its service to local society as a museum.
Ecclesiastical Museum Metropolis Maronias and Komotini (Imaret)
The Ecclesiastical Museum Metropolis of Maronia and Komotini houses the collection of ecclesiastical objects (portable icons, sacred objects, priestly vestments, manuscripts and liturgical books) which collected from the temples of the ecclesiastical province of relevant Metropolis as well as donations of refugees who settled in the area of Komotini. The exhibits cover the period from the 16th to the early 20th century are the evidence of post-Byzantine ecclesiastical art of the region. Purpose of the museum is to collect, preserve, preservation, exhibition and promotion of all kinds of objects which promote ecclesiastical art and history of the Metropolis of Maronia and Komotini. Museum is under the direct supervision of Holy Metropolis of Komotini and Maronia. The museum is housed in a restored Ottoman house of the 15th century which until the early 20th century was used as a poorhouse (Imaret).
Archaeological Museum of Komotini
Mansion of Skouteri Lysander
The Thracian Cultural and Ethnological Museum of Thrace, Komotini and set the house on the street Skouteri Kouloglou 10 and a donation of Royal Skouteri - Dintsoglou to the Municipality of Komotini. The architecture, decoration, furniture and objects from the Museum attach the life of the bourgeoisie of the city and the atmosphere of the time on the verge of 19th and 20th century. The Skouteri house built in the late 19th century at the same time as the adjacent listed building which was the residence of the brothers Telonidi. The family settled in Komotini Skouteri coming from the mainland and this house was the residence of the family until the second half of the 20th. In simple neoclassical lines, the building exemplifies the architecture residence modern era of the bourgeoisie of Thrace. It"s probably built by craftsmen from Epirus. Incorporates domestic art building with, of European origin, frescoes on the walls of the first floor.
Museum Konstantinou Caratheodori
Operated already as a research center. Originating from Vyssa of Evro opposite from Adrianople Konstantinos Karatheodoris was born in Berlin on 13 September 1873 where his father was ambassador of Turkey. He became a leading mechanical and mathematical world-class, worked as professor at four German Universities and Metsovio Polytechnic while undertook at the behest of Venizelos to organize the Ionian University in Izmir, Athens and Thessaloniki. The work of Karatheodori has touched various aspects of mathematics, but its promotion through the museum touches all mathematics and their history. Karatheodori was a leading engineer and worked in the construction of the Suez Canal. Mathematics were however those who stole his heart. Among his students was Albert Einstein.
Folklore Museum of Komotini
The Folklore Museum of Komotini, owned in Educational Association of Komotini and operated since 1962. Since 1989 housed in the mansion of Peidis in St. George str. , which is a characteristic example of local traditional architecture and restored exemplary. Through its exhibits appears the live and beuaty of Thracian art of cities and countryside. The rich collection of objects spread out over two floors, the basement and the shed yard. Traditional costumes, embroidery, carvings, copper, wood, clay and silver, agricultural tools, implements traditional professions of art, household items collected very carefully, give embossed image of traditional Greek Thrace. Many of these, however, come from Eastern and Northern Thrace and of the memorable parts of Asia Minor. Special place have the personal relics of Archbishop of Athens Chrysanthos from Trabzon (born in Komotini), large icon of the 18th century depicting Christ, Panagia, St. Anne and the Prophets and silver reliquary of excellent art.
The Collection of the Papanikolaou Foundation
Away from the eyes of visitors, the interest of scientists and the affection of the people of Komotini is left the Collection of the Museum of the Papanikolaou Foundation. This unique collection which have been gathered over years by the late notary Papanikolaou and is housed in its namesake building. The building, as it is known was built on the property donated by the Municipality of Komotini the charitable foundation called "Foundation - Family Zafiriou Nicholas Papanicolaou - notary of Komotini - Spiritual Centre - Museum - House of Arts of Komotini." The building that houses the institution, alongside the Administration building of The Prefecture, is a two-storey building with basement. On the second floor, with an area of 886 square meters, are illustrated rare exhibits such as manuscripts on papyrus or parchment, pottery and artifacts first posted in the Byzantine period, within an impressive exhibition of 120 large glass showcases. On the first floor there is the amphitheater with a capacity of 420 seats. The exhibition also extended on the basement. On the same level there is the library and the laboratories of Christian hagiography and woodcarving. To visit the Museum you can do it so after getting in consultation with the Diocese of Komotini which manages the building
Ancient Theater Maronia
xcavations of the site started in the late 1960's and have brought to light:
The theatre of the city, in which two architectural phases are distinguished, dated to the Hellenistic and Roman periods
A sanctuary, probably of Dionysos, dated to the 4th century B.C.
A large Hellenistic house with a mosaic floor
Two extensive building complexes, most probably of public function, also dated to the Hellenistic period
Parts of the fortification wall of the Classical city.
Restricted restoration work is carried out at the architectural remains.
The most important monuments of the site are:
The Ancient Theatre.
It was constructed in the Hellenistic period and remodelled in Roman times. Preserved are: three rows of stone seats of the cavea, the central and the horseshoe-shaped conduit of the orchestra, and the building of the Roman skene.
Fortress of Nymphea
The remains of the current Fortress of Nymphea or “Kale”, located approximately 4 km southwest of the village, at the 10th km of provincial road Komotini-Fortress Nymphea and few meters after the tourist pavilion of the municipality. From the old masonry (up to 5m height) survives only a part of the south side of the wall of nearly 10 m long and a battlement attached in the west of the wall. From both ends of the south side begins an arcuate configuration and in north direction the other two sides of the wall, whose existence is perceived only because of the embankments. The extent of construction from north to south is 16 meters long, while from east to west, 12.5 m long. The perimeter reaches about 61 m and the thickness of the wall 1,8 m. Probably it dates to the late Byzantine period. East and west of the fort it extents the valley. From the fort it can be seen the extensive views of the coastal plain of southern Thrace. The fort controlled the important passage between the plains of Thrace and the Bulgarian hinterland which was the easiest route
The Clock Tower was built in 1884, the era of Sultan Abdul Hamid B. In the decade of 1950 became architectural interventions and took its current form. Behind the tower rises the minaret of the mosque of Yeni Mosque from the balcony where the muezzin calls the faithful of Islam to prayer. In the courtyard housed the religious authority of Muslims Rhodope, the Mufti of Komotini. At the southwestern side of the assembly tower-mosque is the pedestrian shopping street of Ermou, while the NE side, the traditional square of Hephaestus, is heaving laboratories tinplate, known teneketzidika, giving a unique color in the market town that lies around.
Greek Urban School of Nestoros Tsanaklis
It is known that Nestor Tsanaklis, a large tobacco trader from Komotini, emigrant in Cairo, financed in the early 20th century the construction of an Urban School. The building was inaugurated in 1907. It was given the name “Tsanakleios School” in honor of the benefactor of the city, who was sending the amount of 200 gold sovereigns for the salaries of the teachers of the Greek community for several years. For the construction of the Greek Urban School, he was granted by the Ottoman rule of the time, the area of the Municipal Garden, riverfront town in the heart of the Greek Quarter. The building was built in accordance with the principles of eclecticism dominant architectural view of the 19th century. The school didn’t have the time to work as the donor would have liked. But it successively housed the Orphanage (1919), the General Administration of Thrace (1922-1945), the Prefecture of Rhodope (1945-1972) and Rector of the Democritus University of Thrace in 2000.
Tobacco Warehouse at 8 Parnassus Street
It is a declared historical monument as it represents one of the few examples of tobacco warehouses that remains in the city of Komotini, testifying the past development of the last century and early this century, due to the processing and marketing of tobacco.
The building belongs to the Technical Chamber of Thrace and can be visited on request during the evenings
The Komotini Municipal Theatre was founded in November 1984 and serves as private legal entity, based in programmatic contract between Regional Theatre - Komotini Municipality and Ministry of Culture. The objectives of the Regional Theatre Komotini are: 1.The organization and presentation of professional theater performances. 2.The development and promotion of local executive artistic potential. 3.The presentation of parallel theatrical and cultural events. 4.The function of amateurish group under the Municipal Theatre in collaboration with the academic community. 5.The participation in artistic and cultural events in Komotini, 6.The highlight of Regional Theatre in vital body of artistic development and intellectual culture, which can consult fruitfully in matters of culture both with the neighboring Balkan peoples, and with overseas Thrakiotes. The Regional Theatre of Komotini operates in a building constructed in 1925 as a Public Employees Club, then housed the Municipal library and converted to a small but functional theater in 1984. capacity is 120 seats.
New Temenos (Yeni Mosque)
The mosque was founded in the late 16th century (1585) by master Ahmet who was head of the financial department of the Ottoman Empire during the reign of Sultan Murad III. The original building had a dome and five smaller ones. The inscription of 1902 located at the southern entrance informs us extensive renovations and expansions of the mosque. From the monumental entrance, one enters the prayer room of the mosque, where the impressive marble mihrab, the recess in the wall that is oriented towards Mecca, which presents sculptures, while beside him is built the famous tiles of Bursa, which decorated flowers and stems, while distinct and inscription from the Quran. Equally impressive is the marble Minbari, the pulpit where the Imam leads the prayer, which is decorated with reliefs and these floral and geometric designs. It should be noted that although the mosque is called "New" (Yeni Mosque) is older by about 25 years of the so-called "Old" Mosque (Eski Mosque).
Old Temenos, Eski Mosque
The large mosque was founded, according to the testimony of the Ottoman traveler Evliyia Tselebi of 17th century, in 1608/9, while an inscription testifies repairs during the year 1677-1678. The monument is interesting from an architectural point of view, while the interior is simple. On the outside stands the impressive minaret with two balconies and inside the mihrab, where the recess in the wall is oriented towards Mecca, with its simple decor and simple wooden Minbari ie the pulpit where the Imam leads the prayer. It is interesting that although the building is later than the so-called "New Mosque", is named "Old" because it located in the "Old Quarter", the so-called "district of the Old Mosque-Atik Mosque."
Church of the Assumption
Located inside the fortress on the eastern side. It is four-aisle with splint, wooden roof and its floor is at a lower level than the round space. It was built during the Ottoman rule (1800) on the foundations of a Byzantine church, for which we report in 1548 by the traveler Pierre Belon. The temple in its present form is restored and declared a historical monument. Important from an artistic point of view is the miraculous image of Panagia, which can be dated between the 15th and 16th century. The ornate temple with lace decoration follows the school of Ipeiros. Even remarkable works of the early 19th century are the bishop"s throne and the pulpit.